Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Q038A- Trevor Bauer Pitching Savant

Q038A- Trevor Bauer Pitching Savant 9 months 5 days ago #390

• jackky
  • Fresh Boarder
Trevor Bauer doesnt actually need an introduction to FanGraphs readers. The very best prospect within the Arizona Diamondbacks organization already had a well-earned reputation when he was drafted third overall this past year from UCLA. A 21-year-old right-hander, Bauer is known for his in-depth understanding of sabermetrics and pitching mechanics nearly as much as he is to have an extensive repertoire which includes an overpowering fastball.
Bauer, who is currently pitching for the Triple-A Reno Aces, recently addre sed several facets of his unique and highly cerebral approach. One of the topics covered were pitch sequencing, video and visualization, and why velocity is more important to him than location.

Trevor Bauer: Pitching is often as simple or complicated as you decide to make it. It goes from being as easy as the catcher establishing outside and you throwing the ball. It may be fairly simple around the brain, or it may be knowing which pitch you want to throw in what situation, and why. Thats from the mental side of things.
Physically, its pretty complex. Obviously, you have a large amount of moving parts. You need to have all things Christian Ponder Jersey in sync everything cooperating and thats pretty complicated. I gue s it just depends on the way you decide to look at it, and just what your choice is as an athlete how complex or simple do you want to make it?
Most people looking at my approach on the mound would state that its very, very complex. Ive been doing the work for so long, and Im so familiar with it, that it just type of occurs naturally. But Id say Im definitely more to the extreme of being complex. I pretty much take everything I do, pitching-wise, and try to figure it full-scale. I've found the last little bit of information that is going to a sist me.
For my mechanics, I look at video at 480 frames per secondto see if Im slightly from sequence, or maybe this is getting slightly off, or maybe that is getting slightly off, or whats happening. I look at how the ball actually leaves my fingertips, which you'll see at that slow of the frame rate. I can see if me is slightly round the ball, or maybe Im staying through it. I consider the axis of the ball and just how its spinning; the way the axis correlates to what movement its going to have; and how to generate different axes coming off the hand.
There is a specific reason I throw as many different pitches as I throw. They all serve a very specific purpose in my attack, and how I sequence pitches. I dont nece sarily believe in throwing fastballs down within the zone, because after i consider the geometry of it and creating deception to the hitter it doesnt make sense at all in my experience to throw fastballs down. Petty much just everything I actually do pitching-wise can be explained and taken to become extremely complex.
I do a large amount of focus on my visualization, and once I can see it for the reason that slow of a frame-rate exactly how it comes down off me I'm able to wallow in it and visualize it for Ten or fifteen minutes each day, in super slow motion within my head, to kind of train neural pathways. That helps get ripped memory without having to actually do anything. After i actually go out there and do it, I have an idea a picture from it so that I'm able to a sociate an understanding using the picture I have in my head and sort of blend the two together.
Also, there's understanding the axis of the ball and how its designed to break. Even when I dont have a great feel for it, I've got a picture within my head of the items its designed to do. After i occur to stumble upon obtaining the desired break, I can type of focus on how you can actually manipulate the ball using the mental image that I have. Im pretty good at seeing the mental image and replicating it physically. I dont determine if thats something Ive trained [myself] or if its natural for me personally but Ive always were built with a pretty Aviante Collins Jersey good sense of seeing in my head after which heading out and doing it.

I think the term `pitching to contact is a catch-all phrase for throwing strikes. Its pitch to make contact with; we would like you to definitely throw the ball within the zone. I pitch to contact, but under 80% on-time contact is exactly what I shoot for. After i reach two strikes, I dont want anybody making contact.
I think people misinterpret the phrase pitch to contact as wanting guys to put the ball in play, as opposed to just wanting to throw strikes. Ideally, if you could throw three strikes to each hitter, and also have them swing and mi s at each single pitch, thatd be the ideal game to throw because they have no po sibility of getting on base. The more you pitch from contact, the greater chance you have to win, as long as youre throwing the ball within the zone.
That is kind of a dichotomy that people dont really realize. To many people, throwing the ball within the zone implies that youre getting contact individuals are going to hit the ball. Its true. Should you to s the ball within the zone, individuals are going to make contact. But, should you understand the swing, and how long the bat is actually in the hitting zone, and the way to work tailgate to cab with hitters, meaning changing speeds with one pitch at 95, the next at 80, the next 87, the following 75. If you're able to work front-to-back like that, speed-wise, you actually disrupt the hitters timing so theyre never hitting anything hard. The entire pitch-to-contact term to me is like a catch-all, simplistic phrase. I dont really like the term.
My goal is to throw 75% to 80% strikes, and 75% to 80% first-pitch strikes, at different speeds and different movements. When my pitch count runs up on me, its because I just cant locate anything like I have to that day. Its nothing like Im trying to pitch from contact, or that Im frightened of throwing the ball within the zone, or anything like that. Its exactly that Im not nece sarily executing in addition to I do at times.
I never really change my approach, if I execute the way i wish to, my pitch count is going be down. My goal is to have every at bat over in four pitches or fewer, and the best way you do that is by throwing three out of the first four pitches for strikes. That way theyre either on base with a hit, or its a ground out, a fly out or they strike out, since there were three balls in the zone they'd gotten to hit. Keeping my pitch count down and my approach go hand in hand. Its exactly that I must get good at executing my approach.
I choose a pitch to begin a man off with, then I read the hitter for how he reacts towards the pitch. Did I carry it out? After i throw certain pitches, I know wherever they started off, and just what other pitches I'm able to to s in what locations to ensure they are look exactly the same as the pitch the hitter just saw. Thats part of it as well, but mostly its just reading the hitter, and depending on how he reacts where he fouled Matt Blair Jersey the ball off, what kind of swing he took that goes into deciding what pitch to throw next.
A lot of information is, OK, does this guy walk a lot? Does he strike out a great deal? If a guy walks a lot and doesnt strike out very much, he has a pretty darn good eye. He knows the strike zone pretty much, so Im going to have to throw the ball within the zone to get a strike. Hes not going to chase much. If your guy is striking out a great deal, and not walking greatly, I might be able to throw something just outside the zone that appears just like a strike but isnt a strike, and obtain a swing. Its ideal should you dont have to throw a strike, and may obtain a guy to swing, because its a lot harder hitting a ball out of the zone well than a ball within the zone.
What is a guy looking for first pitch? Is his approach at the plate to yank a fastball, or perhaps is he likely to search for something off-speed to sit back on and drive somewhere if its hanging? What's his approach? Those are type of the things I look at. Theres lots of other stuff, obviously, however i dont utilize it as much yet. I havent found a use for all of it within my short time.

The ballpark really doesnt play any role in the way i pitch. My approach is designed to not allow the hitters hit the ball hard. To hit the ball out of the ballpark, most hitters have to hit the ball about 90% of on-time, to po se s enough power transferred in the bat towards the ball to have it from the park. Obviously, in certain smaller ballparks, you can mi s balls and perhaps hit them 85% or 80% on-time, and youll have them out of the park.
If I can disrupt timing, so that theyll be slightly jammed or even slightly in front, theyre not going to be in a position to hit the ball with enough contentration to get it out. After i came to pitch in Reno, a lot of people said my approach wasnt going to work there, since the ball flies and the PCL is definitely an offensive league, but I seem to have fared pretty darn well, much like I did in Mobile. The 2 places are completely different: Mobile plays huge and Reno plays pretty small. If I execute, my approach works virtually whatever the ballpark.
Velocity is an important factor for me personally. I take a look at speed as a way to get hitters out, more so than location. Lots of guys want to use their fastball and look for it down, and round the black, or even on the black. Theyve reached locate their fastball well. I dont really attempt to locate my fastball too specifically. I attempt to throw it in both the upper or bottom 1 / 2 of the zone, or even the inner or outer half. I pretty much work in halves, which is a lot easier than attempting to operate in ninths.
When I've my good velocity, I'm able to locate in those halves and obtain balls by people. I obviously set them up, and so i know after i throw a fastball that its going to get by them basically can throw it in this region. So my velocity is pretty important to me. Obviously, I must be able to throw a fastball for any strike when I want to, so location is still important. However i would say that velocity is really a primary an i sue, and location is really a secondary factor off of that.
When Im going really well, I throw between 38% Tashawn Bower Jersey and 44% fastballs inside a game. I find thats when Im most effective. If your hitter cant take a seat on the fastball, because four out 10 times theyre getting a fastball, they need to adjust to each and every pitch I throw. Basically can acquire the hitter gue sing between one of my six different pitches, six different speeds, and 6 different movements, theyre going to be succe sful gue sing a very small percentage of times. Thats the idea. After i start throwing 50%, 60%, 70% fastballs, thats after i start getting hit, and becoming hit pretty hard. If hitters know a fastball is originating, it doesnt matter in which you locate it, or how hard you throw. Theyre likely to hit it.

I have variations of my pitches. My main ones are fastball, change, curve, slider, spli, along with a reverse slider. I've variations on my changeup, Jabari Price Jersey my curveball and my slider which i use pretty regularly. If you want to count the variations, I throw greater than six different pitches.
My reverse slider is a cro s between a sinking-fastball along with a screwball. It acts that just about a left-handed cut fastball, or perhaps a left-handed slider, which is why I refer to it as a reverse slider. It is going the alternative direction that youd expect a right-handed slider to visit. When Im throwing it well, it's virtually exactly the same action because the slider that I throw for any strike does, just within the other direction. Individuals will cla sify it as a sinking fastball or a changeup, but its not nece sarily those. I throw a changeup, and its different .
My reverse slider is available in when Im throwing well usually between 87 mph and 91 mph. My changeup is anywhere in the 80-82 range when Im throwing rid of it sometimes up to 84 so the above are completely different pitches. And that i dont throw a sinking fastball whatsoever; I dont throw a two-seamer. All I throw is four-seam fastballs.
When Im right and healthy and throwing the ball well, my fastball doesnt get reduced than about 93. My reverse is anywhere 88-90 range, and 91 sometimes. My split is the 85-87 range. My slider is in the 83-85 range. Changeup 80-83. Curveball between 76 to 80. I pretty much cover each and every speed between 95 and 75.

I think the biggest thing in pitching, and command and velocity, is health. The only method youre going to be able to enhance your velocity would be to throw, and the only way you are able to enhance your command is to throw. If your throwing has a movement pattern that isnt healthy, you cant do this, because youre putting a lot stre s on your arm that it hurts. You cant really get much done. You cant throw enough to actually make any improvement.
People ask me about how I throw so much, which might the other, but nobody ever asks: How are you able to throw so much? What do you do mechanically that keeps you healthy? Thats really the biggest thing I must offer to the intellectual side from the baseball community: how to keep a leg healthy, and addre s movement pattern problems that cause injuries. Thats something Id want to see at the end of my career, so that somehow injury rates drop.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds